Where I am now...Athens, Greece

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Merry Month of May

I have been remiss in posting updates weekly as originally planned...which I think is fine. The month of May held many, many good things for me (hence the title...) and so this will be about my May adventures! :)
*******
The first weekend of May I flew to Las Vegas, NV, from DC, for a mini-reunion of sorts with some college girlfriends...it was a blast! We did NOT do the Vegas Strip thing or spend any time at any of the casinos...which was just fine. I had the wonderful opportunity to catch up with some truly accomplished and amazing women with whom I attended the Air Force Academy. We had not seen one another since our 10th year class reunion in 1995. I believe it was also a weekend to discuss the fact we were all so fab and only turning 40! ;) So it was time very well spent. Thank you Tara and Jenny - you were such amazing hostesses and are incredible friends...I adore you both! And Jenny, Regina, Janelle and Meghan...it was so great to catch up and see all of you! :) Lesson learned on my part - red eye flights are not my friend...Mondays kind of suck after you fly across the country on one... ;)

All of the ladies with the USAFA yearbook (KTP 95!) and the Checkpoints

Tara, Jenny and I...an inspirational and loving couple...I admire and adore you both!
*********
 The second weekend of May was exceptional as well! My Mom arrived from Arizona on Thursday night, and on Friday afternoon, we boarded a bus in DC and headed to the Big Apple! I'm kind of ashamed to say this was my first "real" trip to NYC! But let me tell you, doing it with my Mom was the absolute best way to do it. We arrived around 11:30 pm, dropped off our bags in our hotel room (about a block off of 42d street) and headed out to check out Times Square at night...and I was enthralled...lights, crazy people, music, cartoon characters posing for photos, police on horses, art, statues, rain, sun, and so much more. We stopped in the Hard Rock and had a drink after wandering around Times Square, and when we came out, it was pouring buckets. Drenched rats! :) Over the course of the weekend, we saw a Broadway musical (Newsies - fab!), visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art (MoMA), pet lots of dogs (ok, that was me...), ate Greek food and practiced Greek (ok, that was kind of me too...), visited the 9/11 Memorial to honor the fallen, ate breakfast at a NYC diner, window shopped ala Holly Golightly at Tiffany's, and watched lots and lots of people. Not too shabby for a short weekend trip! :) But most of all, we created some amazing memories and spent another wonderful Mother's Day together. Quality time is more precious than anything else in life :)
 
Bright Lights, Big City!

My very sweet Mom!

Post downpour and happy as clams

Mom and the Naked Cowboy! :)

Στιν υγεια σας! (Το your health!)

Mom is such a rebel, taking photos in the theater.. ;)
Me petting a little puppy after MoMA...I swear they find me...

View of one of the reflecting pools at the 9-11 Memorial...it was truly a beautiful memorial

Inside the Cathedral near the 9-11 Memorial site

Mom post-Tiffany shopping!

Our beer at the Trump bar before leaving NYC
 ******
 The following weekend, I stayed local to DC and took care of a friend's puppies while she and her hubby went to a wedding in Colorado. The pups and I hung out, watched a few movies, and I took care of various administrative things around the house...it was a relaxing and much-needed restful weekend. I also had a chance to meet up with a friend and colleague near Hagerstown MD...he and his buddy were hiking the Appalachian Trail for the weekend. It was a wonderful, but quick visit...and I learned that you are not allowed to have alcohol in state parks of Maryland...hmmm.... :)
 
Miss Belle


Miss Mei Le
 
Joel and Kerry enjoying a short break from their AT journey

The hikers!
******
Memorial Day weekend was spent transporting the most amazing little Boston Terrier mix from West Virginia to DC...his name is Jimmie (the foster/rescue organization renamed him Thurston Howell III due to his adorable underbite). Little Thurston is just the most loving, sweet boy! I had a REALLY hard time giving him up once I got to DC with him...I can honestly say that had I been staying in DC instead of moving overseas, I could have seen myself adopting this little guy. He was truly a little loving gentleman and will make his new family truly happy :)
 
*******
So, all in all, it was a crazy, good, full and merry month in May! Some great travel adventures ... quality time spent with friends and family .... and most of all, enjoying the life that I have been given to live. Amongst all of this, I started my General Services Officer training and obtained my acquisitions certification, and also checked off a lot of things off my to-do list for the move to Greece! May was a very productive and merry month indeed! Marching forward each day...

Marching On by One Republic...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHvgAJe8bvM









No comments:

Post a Comment